This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here
Collection

SAMI108.jpg
Click image to enlarge

SAMI108.jpg

Title:SAMI108.jpg
Description:The original Spink House was built by Ralph Ellis of Midhope Hall in the early 1600s, and was occupied by Henry Hodgkinson a doctor and master of Bolsterstone School, who had married into the Ellis family. It was built as a kind of Dower house and it was there that the Catholic baptisms, of which the Society holds records, took place from 1809 to 1819. The middle house on the right in the photograph was built in 1833 with the farm house and buildings behind. The top house on the left and a carriage house were added in 1866/68 by John Grayson. There is an entrance to a tunnel which is supposed to lead to Bolsterstone somewhere in the farm buildings. The stable once housed twenty horses. This photograph was taken in Mrs Askews time. She was the widow of John Grayson and had married Elijah Askew.
Date uploaded:18th July 2011
File type:JPG
Reference:SAMI108
Type:Photographs
Subject:Spink House
Location:Stocksbridge Area

There are 124 other items in this folder:

SAMI001.jpg
SAMI002.jpg
SAMI003.jpg
SAMI004.jpg
SAMI005.jpg
SAMI006.jpg

See all items in this folder