This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here

Scouts & Cubs

Foreword

There is a long and proud tradition of these organisations operating in and around the area.

Many Men and Women, both past and present have unselfishly given their time and energy in organising meetings and events, such that the Children and Young Adults of our district can experience comradeship and enjoy pastimes which are different from their everyday life.

They are to be congratulated for all of their hard work and dedication.

The Stocksbridge & District History Society would like to thank all those who have contributed to the information presented in this section.

Particular thanks are expressed to Dave Woods of the 3rd Stocksbridge Scout Troop for all his help in compiling this historical record.

 

A Brief History

In 1907 Dr Mary Andrews (daughter of Mr Thomas Andrews of Wortley Forge) started a Boys Brigade for the sons of the Wortley Forge men.

In 1910 on June 20th the Penistone Scout troop was formed.

A group of boys in Stocksbridge were trying to put into practice what they had been reading about in Baden Powel's book "Scouting for Boys".

In 1912 they met a young man called Thomas Brook Stanley and Scouting was born in the Stocksbridge valley.

In 1912 the 32nd Sheffield was formed, it was known as Langley Brook Scouts, however it only lasted a few years as in May 1913 the Scout Master Brooke Stanley, who was now twenty-one decided to go out to relatives in Western Australia, and on one very sad Sunday, the troop paraded at the hut, this photograph was taken and Brooke was seen off at Penistone, Mr. A. Kenworthy took over the running of the troop.

Shown in the photograph are: S.M. Brooke Stanley, A.S.M. J. A. Kenworthy, Patrol Leader R. A. Marsden, Walter Sutton, Willie Cole, Herbert Hance, Willey Stanley, Frank Brown, Harry Charlesworth, Patrol Leader John Ashford, Joe Goodlad, G. Crawshaw, Ben Oates, Herbert Ellison, John Goodlad and Clarence Bacon.

Thomas Brook Stanleys granddaughter has recently sent over from Australia, this photograph of him his father Arthur, step mother Gertrude and half brother Edward, taken just before he left for Australia, note that he has a Scout Badge on his lapel.

Later as part of the Australian Military Forces Thomas Brooke Stanley was awarded the DCM for his part in the defense of Hill 60 at Gallipoli.

In 1914 Dr Mary Andrews started the 55th Wortley and Thurgoland Scout Group initially at Wharncliffe lodge and the Old Stag Paddock. She found a stable on Grange Drive which over the winter the Scouts turned into a HQ. During the year they had joint meetings on Wharncliffe Chase and Ewden Valley with a group of Boys from Deepcar led by Mr Jack Reece. The assistants to Dr Andrews were Miss Iris Dixon (Peter Dixons Oughtibridge) and Mr. Jack Kilbride.

In 1917 the 32nd Stocksbridge troop was revived by Mr. Joseph Sheldon and  Mr. Crawshaw became the Scout Master, meetings were held in the British Hall.

In 1917 the Deepcar and Bolsterstone troop registered as the 93rd Sheffield under the leadership of Mr Jack Reece Mr. Willis Herbert and Mr. Frank Crawshaw. The troop only lasted a couple of years and was closed down.

Also In 1917 the Deepcar and Bolsterstone troop was registered as the 93rd Sheffield.

Between the years of 1912 to 1921 more Scout troops were formed in the valley, the 93rd Deepcar and Bolsterstone and the 95th Ewden Valley were as far as the records show, the only ones in the area who actually registered.

It would appear that most of the troops didn't survive for long, possibly due to a lack of knowledgeable leaders, or the lack of suitable places to hold meetings.

This photograph is of the 95th troop based in the Ewden Valley was taken around 1917.

In 1920 nineteen Scouts attended the International Jamboree in London and members of the village turned out to see them off.

In November of 1921, at a meeting in the Odd Fellows Hall, (later called the Miners Welfare) the Stocksbridge and District Local Association was formed, its purpose being to administer the Scout Troops based in the Don and Porter valleys.

As a direct result of this the 3rd Stocksbridge Scout and Cub Pack was formed by Captain J. Pullman. Due to the high level of demand for Scouting, it quickly became oversubscribed, thus leading to the formation of the 4th Stocksbridge troop.

The 32nd Sheffield was re-named as the 1st Stocksbridge troop and the Penistone troop was renamed as the 2nd Penistone.

In 1922 the 5th Stocksbridge (Bolsterstone Church) troop was formed.

In 1923 the 6th Midhope and 7th Oughtibridge troops were formed.

By 1924 due to the low numbers of boys and the lack of experience of the leaders the 1st, 3rd and 4th troops were closed down.

At a meeting early in 1925 the three troops decided to combine and the 3rd Stocksbridge was reformed under the guidance of the Reverend A. Austin, combining the leaders and scout members from the original 1st, 3rd and 4th troops.

The District Commissioner Mr. W. Marshall purchased some war surplus huts for £10 each and Samuel Fox and Company Limited erected two of them on land behind the Church School on Nanny Hill.

Easter camp was held on the Strines moor, with Scouts from the 130th St Clements, with whom the Scout Master had previously held a warrant.

A Bugle Band was formed with E. Batty as bandmaster and the Rover Crew was formed, with David Hurst in charge.

In 1926 the troop had become so large that the Assistant Scout Master at the time, Mr. A. Richardson, left to start another troop in the Mission on Moorland Drive, this became known as the 8th Stocksbridge troop.

In 1927 the 9th Stocksbridge (Wesleyan) troop was formed and a Girl Guide Company was also formed during the same year.

The "King Scout" badge was awarded to James Horton of the 3rd Stocksbridge troop; later "Jimmy" became the District Commissioner of the Local Association up to its demise in 1974.

At this time there were very few jobs in the valley due to the miners' strike, so the Rovers, with plenty of time to spare, commenced camping in the Ewden Valley and they stayed there for most of the year, after that they became known as "Barny Campers".

It was while they were sat around the camp fire at night that some of the original scouts from the 32nd muted the idea of re-forming the 1st Stocksbridge once again, but this didn't come to fruition until some years later.

In 1931 the 1st Stocksbridge troop was re-formed by the "Barny Campers", Jimmy Horton, Ralph Crossley and Jack Pawley being the first Scouters.

In 1935 a torchlight procession to commemorate the silver jubilee of King George V marched from Hole house Lane to the beacon at windy bank, the torch light display was performed by the Cubs the Scouts and the Rovers.

Throughout the 1930's the Group had a thriving cub pack, which came under the direction of Miss A. E. Aykroyd.

In 1937 the new 3rd Stocksbridge Scout Band lead the village in another torchlight procession from Hole House Lane to the top of Hunshelf Bank in order to light the beacon for the coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth.

The Cubs, Scouts and Rovers formed up to display "G.R. 1937" in the field just below the beacon.

This photograph shows the troop gathered for the parade; they include the following people, the names are given in no particular order and include The Reverend Garfield Roberts, Captain Perkins, Cyril Coldwell, Alvey Webster, Cyril Firth, Colin Coldwell, Ronnie (banks) Walker, Miss A. E. Aykroyd, Fred Aykroyd, Tommy Needle, Willie Apps, Don Rose, Ron Rose, Brian Wragg, Ken Tingle, David Brocklebank, Harold Evans, Richard Littlewood, Roland Ellison, Dyson Sanderson, Brian Rodgers, Brian Ridal, George Dyson, Frank Copley, Richard Button, Joe Travis, Ronnie Sellars, Richard Damms, Denis Gleed, Aubrey Tingle, Harold Levitt, Eric Firth, Ivor Dyson, Dennis Booth, Jackie Cooper, Maurice Levitt and Bob Levitt.

The 1st Stocksbridge moved into their new headquarters in Pearson Street.

This photograph shows David Hurst & Emmy Ackroyed with both Cub Packs in 1938, David had been in the 32nd (1st) troop from June 21st 1918 and Joined the Rover Crew in 1923, he was one of the 3 who re-formed all 3 troops into the 3rd Stocksbridge in 1924, when he became Cub Master, Emmy became Mrs. Hurst when she married David in 1940.

In 1939 three new groups were registered, the 6th Wharncliffe Side, the 7th St Anne's and the 8th All Souls Mission at Garden Village.

The library was moved from the British Hall to the 1st Stocksbridge headquarters in Pearson Street, so it could be used for Civil Defence, so the troop moved to the Lecture Hall, which was part of the Congregational Church, then later after the end of the war, they moved back to their headquarters in Pearson Street.

In 1940 the 3rd Group Scout Leader, Cyril Coldwell was "called up" along with other Scout Leaders, records show that the Scout movement continued, with annual sports days, camps and competitions.

During the War the troops did their bit by collecting scrap metal, and with the permission of Samuel Fox and Company Limited, they collected bean poles from the woods alongside the river in the Bitholmes.

In 1941 the Local Association Head Quarters were officially opened at a ceremony at Hole House Lane, by the then Chief Scout Lord Somers.

 

In 1942 the 11th All Saints Smithy Moor troop was formed by Harold Levitt and the 10th Bolsterstone was formed by Alan Froggatt.

The 12th Stocksbridge (Sea Scouts) was formed by Jack Hughes, an Ex Merchant Seaman on the "Back Dam" at Wortley.

The Headquarters on Hole House Lane was used by the St John's Ambulance as a canteen for servicemen in the vicinity.

In 1943 Flight Lt. Eddie Challis was lost in a raid over Berlin.

See this other informtion with regard to the ultimate sacrifice of Flight Lt. Eddie Challis in the service of his Country.

As far as we are aware this was the only fatality from the Scouting Community recorded during WW2.

In 1945 to celebrate "Victory in Europe Day", the Scouts and Cubs held a torch light procession to the beacon, which was lit for the third time since 1921.

In 1946 Mr. Jimmy Horton took over as Group Scout Master of the 1st Stocksbridge troop, from Mr. A Kenworthy

In 1949 the B. P. Guild of Old Scouts, inaugural meeting was held.

The photograph below shows the people at the meeting, the names are given in no particular order and include:

H.E. Elliot, Jenkins Gibson, Mr. Inman, A. Kenworthy, Bernard Dore, 'Pat' Harry Gaskil, Tommy Needle, Colin Crapper, unknown. Curry, Mr. Heath, Alec Pearson, Reg Bardon, Mr. Hattersley, Eric Firth, Jim Horton, Jack Pearson, Mr. Pearson, Alf Richardson, Bertie Mitchell, Mr. Sweeney, David Hurst, Emmy Hurst, Mrs. Bramwell, Mrs. Heath, Mrs. Storey, Mrs. Herbert, Mrs. Pearson, Mrs. Caswell, Mrs. Barden, Mrs. Reece, Mrs. Knowles, Mrs. Schofield and Mrs. Tazzyman.

In 1951 Roland 'Cully' Wright and Alf. Nicolson gained their "Kings Scout" award and were presented with them at the St. Georges day parade in Windsor.

In 1953 a gateway constructed out of poles and rope was constructed at Bracken Moore sports field, but is rumoured that due to the weather no one actually saw it.

In 1955 the two huts at Nanny Hill became un-inhabitable and the 3rd Stocksbridge troop found a new home in the Local Association Headquarters on Hole House Lane.

In the next three years the group lost two of its leaders, and in 1958 the troop almost folded due to a lack of numbers, Cully Wright who was running the troop left and emigrated to Canada, and the District Commissioner Jimmy Horton took over the running of the troop.

Later of that year, Cyril Coldwell was requested by the District Commissioner, Jimmy Horton, to become Group Scout Leader once again. He enlisted the assistance of Alan Gill and John Barkworth as Scout leaders, John became Scout leader as Alan was not yet old enough to hold a warrant.

For the next 30 years, the Scouts under the leadership of Alan Gill, experienced activities that modern Scouts take for granted, but at the time were almost unheard of in the scouting fraternity.

White water Canoeing, Sailing, Water Skiing, and Rock Climbing, were just a few of the activities that they participated in.

Alan was instrumental along with Richard Parrot of the 164 Stannington troop in starting the "Silver Night Owl" competition, which involved Scouts hiking overnight and having to perform tasks at checkpoints along the way.

Throughout this period there was a thriving cub pack managed firstly by the Vicar of the Parish Church and subsequently by Miss Coldwell and then by Miss Hush.

In 1959 the 3rd Stocksbridge troop held camp in Conway, and were joined there by a number of the 1st Stocksbridge Scouts troop.

David Walton of 1st Stocksbridge was presented, by Sir Harold West, with the Silver Cross for saving a girl from drowning whilst he was on holiday.

In 1960 the 3rd Stocksbridge troop held camp at Deep Dale Hall, in Patterdale.

In 1961 the 3rd Stocksbridge troop camp was held at Side Farm again in Patterdale.

In 1962 the 1st and 3rd started a joint Senior Scout troop under the Leadership of Mr. Oliver Germain, who had arrived from North Wales to work in the valley.

In this photograph the 1st Stocksbridge troop display the trophy that they won throughout the year.

The Rope is for the Tug of War, the Hemsley Trophy is at the back, the Solid Silver Scout was for the Scout competition, and the Wolfs Head was for something similar for the Cubs.

The only one which appears to be missing is the Maple Leaf which the 3rd troop won that year, when they had to make a totem pole.

In 1965 Cyril Coldwell retired from the post of Group Scout Leader.

In 1966 the 3rd Stocksbridge troop held camp at Hay on Wye in Wales; they were joined by the Oughtibridge 5th Stocksbridge troop.

In 1967 the Local Association Headquarters in Hole House lane were demolished, leaving the 3rd Stocksbridge troop to hold their meetings in the Church School on Nanny Hill and the Crypt under the St. Matthias Church.

The Groups Parent Committee initiated a program of fund raising with the objective of providing a new Scout hut.

At about the same time, the 1st Stocksbridge troop's Head Quarters became unusable, so the two Groups joined together to work towards building a new one.

In 1968 Cyril Coldwell passed away.

In 1969 Thomas Brooke Stanley died in Australia.

A new headquarters was eventually built, on land behind the Church School at Nanny Hill and it was opened in 1971 by the County Commissioner.

In 1974 a resolution was passed by the 3rd Stocksbridge Parent Committee, stating that the troop was to retain its 3rd Stocksbridge designation in addition to anything that Sheffield City Scouts wished to impose.

In 1974 the Stocksbridge and District Local Association disbanded despite opposition from many in Stocksbridge.

The 1st and 3rd Stocksbridge troops came under the control of the Loxley area of Sheffield and were renamed as the 32nd and the 93rd respectively.

The 2nd Penistone troop came under the control of the Barnsley area.

The 7th Oughtibridge troop came under the control of the Chapeltown area, but they folded shortly afterwards.

In 1976 the Vulcan Venture Unit moved from Hillsborough to Deepcar when they were offered the use of the Wesley Hall, adjacent to the Church as a headquarters.

In 1976 Ian Stolton was appointed as Group Scout Leader of 3rd Stocksbridge and in 1979 he started the 299th based in the Cedar Road Christian Centre, unfortunately it folded after 8 years and Ian then reverted to his role of GSL of the 3rd Stocksbridge.

  In 1980 the 3rd Stocksbridge and Penistone Scout troops camped at Abersoch.

In 1981 the 3rd Stocksbridge troop won the best dressed wagon award in the Mayors parade.

In 1984 the 3rd Stocksbridge started a Beaver Colony for boys from 6 to 8 years of age, and Mark Caswell, Andrew Gill, Daniel Aitken and Kevin Smith were awarded their "Chief Scouts Award".

In 1989 Alan Gill tragically died and Mike Liddell took over as the Scout Leader.

In 2010 after an extensive renovation the headquarters on Nanny Hill was reopened by the Lord Mayor of Sheffield.

In the early part of 2011 the 3rd Stocksbridge troop, along with the 1st Stocksbridge troop, will be joining forces with the Don District Explorer Unit, continuing to bring Scouting to young people between the ages of 14 and 18.

****

The Society has little or no information on the history of the Guides & Brownies of the area; perhaps someone out there might consider rectifying this situation in due course.

We do however have these six photographs of the Deepcar Brownies.

 

We have also these photographs of the Guides.

 

And we have these three photographs, of the various organisations, taking part in local parades.


Return to top of page