This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here

Langsett, Wadsley & Sheffield Turnpike

The Langsett, to Wadsley & Sheffield Turnpike road which was constructed after an Act of 1805, and became so named because it started at Wadsley near Sheffield and terminated at the junction with the existing route from Manchester at the Flouch, it became know locally as Manchester Road.

This road differs from the rest of the routes in that it was constructed from new, with no history of there previously having been even a track along the valley bottom.

We include a short history of this road in this section, as it is probably the most important thoroughfare, in terms of the economic development of the district.

W.E. Spencer wrote this article about the Langsett, Wadsley & Sheffield Turnpike which featured in the Society Newsletter in the winter of 1998.

An Act to repeal the Turnpike was passed in July of 1838, details of which can viewed here.

We pick up the route at the Junction with the road to the Ewden Valley as being the eastwardly point at where it enters our district.

At the junction with the road from Wortley at Deepcar there was a Toll Bar, belived to be of the chain or catchbar type, located at the top of Vaughton Hill.

One keeper of the Toll-Bar was a Mister Porritt who was a pioneer of Methodism in the district; he extracted contributions from travellers, which went towards the maintenance and repair of the road.

This road between Deepcar and the west end of Stocksbridge has changed beyond all recognitions since its inception in 1805.

Being the main thoroughfare between Deepcar and Stocksbridge, shops and small businesses have replaced many of the houses of previous years, and very few signs remain of its historical past.

In 1850 some 45 years after the road was opened, Deepcar was still lightly populated with few buildings of note.

The only buildings on Vaughton Hill would have been the cottages on the left hand side.

The Royal Oak and the King and Miller public houses were already built along with Mangel Row.

Moving towards Stocksbridge on the left there was the village Joiners and Blacksmiths shops, and then little else until we arrive at the then new houses in the Hive Yard, further along was the Blacking Mill at what became Blacking Mill Row.

In this photograph taken later, the road can be seen entering on the left from the direction of Sheffield and then winding its way through Deepcar on its way towards Stocksbridge.

This Mile Stone can be found on the south side of the road located at the Old Haywoods.

Through Stocksbridge few signs of the original road remain, there is however this Mile Stone on the south side of the road outside the entrance to the Fire Station.

There were also Toll Bars at Unsliven Bridge and another at the crossroads at Midhopestones, the old Toll Office can be seen here on the right of this photograph, it was demolished in June 1983 along with the Post Office.

This Mile Stone can be found on the south side of the road just on the Stocksbridge side of the junction.

A number of new Inns were erected along the route to facilitate the comfort of the travellers and the stabling of the horses which pulled the carriages.

One such establishment was the Rose and Crown which stood at the junction of this road and Mortimer Road here at Midhopestones.

It was built on the orders of William Payne (1760-1831) in 1811, when he was Lord of the Manor of Langsett, it closed as a half-way house on 29th May in 1876, the building has since been converted in to private dwellings.

William Payne subscribed £1,000 towards the undertaking of the construction of the road, along with other local men such as Samuel Deakin of Morehall, the Reverand T Bland and John Rimmington.

This photograph of yet another Mile Stone is located opposite the track which goes up towards Alderman Head.

At the village of Langsett the Wagon and Horses public house, also built by William Payne in 1809 continues to be a thriving Public House, and has been run by the Batty family for some thirty years.

It is also still known locally as "Billy Greens" after a previous landlord from many years ago.

As we are here in Langsett, we have this photograph of what appear to be two adjacent milestones indicating that they should be a mile apart

We are unsure as to where they were located or how they became placed adjacent to each other.

The road continues towards the Flouch where it joins up with the road from Manchester to Barnsley.

In 1988 in an attempt to divert heavy through traffic away from Deepcar and Stocksbridge a section of Manchester Road was bypassed by the construction of a new road, the Stocksbridge Bypass.


Return to top of page