Ewden Valley Area
The Ewden Valley is situated on the south side of the district, a tranquil rural area, once described in a local Newspaper article by the Journalist Roger A. Redfern as South Yorkshire's Loveliest Dale.
Its two reservoirs, Broomhead and Moorhall, provide water for the Sheffield area and make up water for the river Don, they greatly enhance the beauty of the surrounding countryside.
In 1929 a local newspaper reported the opening of the Broomhead and Morehall reservoirs in the Valley by the Sheffieid Corporation.
They were opened by the then Minister of Health Mister Arthur Greenwood M.P. and the reported total capacity of the two reservoirs was 1,618 million gallons of water.
In this section you will find a fascinating collection of photographs showing the purpose built village, constructed to house the labourers and their families, employed in the building of the reservoirs.
The collection was commissioned by Mr. William Terrey, between 1914 and 1929, when he was employed as General Manager of the Sheffield Corporation Waterworks Department.
His responsibilities included, for the design, construction and maintenance of the Ewden Village and for the general administration of the works.
The collection shows views of each type of the buildings in the village, as well as the interiors of a lodgers hut, the recreational hall, the navvies’ room in the canteen, and many others.
The fire at Ewden in September 1925 is also recorded in these photographs.
Mr. Terrey, who died in 1935, was described as “One of the best known Water Engineers in the country”.
His obituary attributed to him the then, excellence of (Sheffield’s) water supply.
The recognised exceptionally high standard of Sheffield’s water supply is a lasting tribute to Mr. Terrey’s work.
The collection was donated by Mr Terrey’s great granddaughter, Mrs H. Dodd of Wiltshire to whom we are especially grateful.
This first set of photograph from the Waterworks Collection show, the New Mill Bridge, which was a packhorse bridge and the original bridge, was actually "new" in the thirteenth century.
The following passage is an extract from Joseph Kenworthy’s book The Broken Earthenware of Midhope Potteries relating to the history of this bridge.
“John Wilson, who lived 1719-1783, says it received this name from a mill which stood at the North end of the bridge. It was called New Mill in the time of Thomas de Furnivall, the second, who died in 1279. He also supposed that there was a bridge at this place, it being a common way from Bolsterstone to Bradfield, Sheffield, and other places. The old bridge was of wood, much decayed, and a new stone bridge was built over the Ewden by one, Benjamin Milns, in 1734, at the charge of the inhabitants of Bolsterstone, for which purpose twenty lays were collected in the Lordship”.
It is interesting to note that the Cassini Historical Map (Old Series) dated 1840-1844 does not show a Mill adjacent to the bridge as described by Kenworthy, posing the question was the mill still there in the mid 1800s?
In 1925 the bridge was dismantled, stone by stone, prior to the reservoir being filled, later in 1929 it was rebuilt in Glen Howe Park at Wharncliffe Side, where it can still be seen today.
Photograph 6 shows the bridge being dismantled to allow for the construction of the reservoir and photograph 7 shows the bridge being re-built in Glen Howe Park.
These photographs show the New Mill Pack Horse bridge as it now looks after being rebuilt in Glen Howe park at Wharncliffe Side.
The cost of the dismantling and rebuilding was paid for by Joseph Dixon Owner and Manager of the local Paper Mill, who previously in 1917 had purchased and presented the Park to the people of Wharncliffe Side.
Sadly Joseph never saw the completion of his dream as he died in 1926 at 77 years of age.
These Photographs are of the Broomhead Bridge prior to it being replaced by the one which can be seen today.
This second set of photograph from the Waterworks Collection show, some of the everyday activities associated with the construction of the reservoir and the people involved in building it.
They display some of the workshops and the after effects of the fire which occurred in September of 1925.
This third set of photograph from the Waterworks Collection show, the village which was built as a consequence of the construction of the reservoirs.
This fourth set of photograph from the Waterworks Collection, show various buildings and localities around the valley.
It must have been exhausting work toiling for long hours and without the use of modern day lifting equipment, that said can you think of a more pleasant place to spend a working day.
Broomhead Hall was built in 1640 by Christopher Wilson, who had turned down the chance of a knighthood by declining his invitation to the Coronation of Charles 1st.
Later he became a Captain in the Parliamentary army.
Later this building was the design of James Rimington, already very much out of date, it was demolished in 1980, but the Broomhead farm estate is still a very going concern.
Broomhead Mill & House
If any one has an information on the history of these buildings please contact us.
Mary the daughter of the reverend John Ibbotson of Wigtwizzle married Christopher Wilson of Broomhead Hall in 1623.
It was demolished in 1923 and the stone was used to build the Waterboard houses near More Hall.
Some gateposts can still be seen in the wall opposite Wigtwizzle cottages.
Margaret Todner wrote this article as part of issue 40 of the Society Newspaper the "Paragon" it included an account by her aunt Grace (nee Marsh) who lived at the Hall.
A brief history of Morehall was written by Brenda Duffield and featured in the Stocksbridge Look Local newspaper, this is an account of what she wrote at the time.
As can be seen in the following photographs Ewden Valley is a beautiful location.
There was once a Sailing Club here which had its clubhouse on the south bank of the lower Morehall reservoir but they moved their location a number of years ago.
Fly fishing continues to be a major pastime on these pleasant waters.
This photograph shows a wintry scene at the Ewden Valley Village in February 1963.
A Weymann-bodied Leyland PD2 158 (PWA 258), new to the B fleet in 1953, brings local residents home from Sheffield with their shopping.
There were several of these infrequent rural services to small settlements north-west of the city, this one reached via a private road serving a Corporation waterworks.